Homemade peppermint extract

I saw this post on making your own peppermint extract on the blog Mexican Wildflower.  I've been smacking my hand on my forehead ever since because I can't believe I didn't think of this myself!  I mean, I've made vanilla extract before, why not peppermint as well?

I have a whole bunch of mint in a large pot near my garden.  Mint is invasive, so it needs to be contained, or you will very quickly become a mint farmer.  I picked a whole bunch (maybe 1/3 cup), washed it, "bruised" it a bit, then shoved it in to the vodka bottle using a chop stick.

Let this sit and marinate for 4-6 weeks.
This is how the world would look if you drank too much peppermint extract
Even though I don't drink, I think I'm going to welcome a small splash of this in my homemade hot cocoa.

Labels: , ,